During the pandemic, Kohimarama School has employed an experienced counsellor to support our students. Heightened anxiety, a lowering of resilience etc are common during these uncertain times.
- An opportunity for students to talk in confidence about challenges and difficulties or personal concerns.
- A place to explore aspects of life in a non-judgemental and non-critical atmosphere.
- A safe place to put into words the thoughts and feelings inside you. To understand these and be able to respond.
- A framework to help address needs and concerns with the support of a professional counsellor.
Melika Hassan has a Bachelor of Health Science in Counselling and is a registered counsellor with NZAC (New Zealand Association of Counsellors).
Melika will be joined by Delen Crisp. Delen is an AUT Student studying Counselling and will be completing her placement here at Kohimarama School with Melika as her mentor.
Counselling sessions at school will be on a Tuesday from 08.55am to 3.00pm. Sessions usually last between 20-30minutes and are held in complete confidence.
A referral form will be used to set up an appointment. Melika or Delen will call families before commencing any work and families will be asked to sign the referral form.
Access to a session with a counsellor can be made through;
- A student self-referral or teacher referral made on the booking sheet. (The appointments list will be in confidence and only available to the Senior Management Team and the Counsellors)
- General contact/appointment through email; email@example.com
Kohimarama School will ensure all student information is kept strictly confidential, and no personal information relating to students or families is disclosed.