Term 3, Week 3
|Te Tuhi - Rms 9&10||Tue, 9 Aug|
|Te Tuhi - Rms 14&15||Thu, 11 Aug|
|Nano Girl - Snell team||Fri, 12 Aug|
|EZ Girls Basketball||Mon, 15 Aug|
|EZ Boys Basketball||Wed, 17 Aug|
|Cross Country||Fri, 19 Aug|
|Cross Country - Rain Day||Mon, 22 Aug|
|Photolife - Teams/Groups (note date changed from Mon 22nd)||Thu, 25 Aug|
|Year7&8 Mathex||Thu, 25 Aug|
|School Disco||Fri, 26 Aug|
|BoT Meeting||Mon, 29 Aug|
|BS & EZ Cross County||Mon, 29 Aug|
|Year 7&8 Kids Lit||Wed, 31 Aug|
|Snell hub open morning for year 4/5 parents||Wed, 31 Aug|
|Random Acts of Kindness Day||Thu, 1 Sep|
|Blokes Breakfast||Fri, 2 Sep|
|AIMS Games||Mon, 5 Sep - Fri, 9 Sep|
|Yr 3 hub open morning for year 2 parents||Wed, 7 Sep|
|BS Basketball||Wed, 7 Sep|
A Message from the Principal
In this newsletter I want to build on the previous descriptions of the Strategic Goals that we are working towards at Kohimarama School.
In this newsletter I want to share with you our Strategic Goal Three, related to our school staff.
Strategic Goal Three
Attract, retain and grow fantastic staff
- Support our teachers and staff with targeted professional development
- Support teachers’ and staff work life balance
- Regularly seek feedback and input from teachers and staff
What are we doing in each of these areas?
- Each year the school sets a professional learning and development (PL&D) budget.
- In the last two years, application to the Ministry of Education has resulted in additional hours being granted.
- The PL&D is centred on curriculum developments that includes literacy and Math each year and, as an example, NZ Histories as it is due for implementation.
- Integrated Curriculum and the Pedagogy (Science of Teaching) are central to our our PL&D
- The Senior Management Team, SMT, are focused on the workload our teachers are experiencing and make decisions to ensure we are not overloading staff.
- We encourage teachers to have family at the forefront of their lives as we know that when family is well then staff are very able to manage work effectively.
- We consistently check in with staff to ensure that they are able to carry out their work to the best of their ability.
- As Principal and Deputy Principals we make time to visit every staff member every day and make time at breaks to catch up with them as part of the staff hub.
How are we measuring success?
- The turnover of staff is very low in comparison to other schools around us.
- Staff who do leave the school are not ‘jumping ship’ to go to a local school.
- We operate as a staff team and have transparent communications across the organisation welcoming a range of views across the school.
- Each year we survey to ascertain staff and receive feedback on setting the school up for the following year.
- We have provided, with the support of PTA, staff wellness packages, opportunities for family time or leave as required, leave for travel on specific occasions.
- Provided support for staff when away or isolating.
What are we doing next?
- We are planning our PL&D for 2023-24 using school data.
- We are making an application to the Ministry of Education for additional PL&D support.
- We are working with staff and experts in designing our next learning.
- We continue to work with staff to ensure that the workloads are manageable and insist that appropriate time is allocated to home and family.
- We are consulting and seeking feedback on our PL&D and on our Kohimarama School Way of being.
- We have been seeking staff feedback on the school master planning with the Ministry of Education and architects, Warren and Mahoney.
I have been informed by the contractors that, all being well, the concrete stairs and ramp will be poured on Friday. The weather forecast is looking positive for the end of the week so I’m very much hoping that this will be the case. We hope to soon be using the designated crossing again.
Board of Trustee Elections 2022
Our new Board of Trustees will commence their term on Wednesday 7 September.
Those elected are; Brad Dunstan, Mark Thomson and Catherine Shanaghan. Thank you to these parents who have put themselves forward to serve the school community. The staff representative on the Board is Carrie Mills.
Our thanks go to those board members who have contributed to the school over the last term. Kathryn Furness and Craig Jordan. We appreciate the committed, thoughtful approach to the work of the Board on behalf of the students and staff.
Mask Wearing at School
We have been monitoring the numbers of students and staff away with winter illnesses and COVID. At this stage numbers are remaining low and stable.
It is still strongly recommended that masks be worn while on the school grounds
The Kohimarama Way – Honesty
Signs you are being successful with honesty are when you say what you mean and mean what you say, make promises you can keep, admit your mistakes, refuse to lie, cheat, or steal, tell the truth tactfully and are true to yourself and do what you know is right.
Starry Night Disco – Friday 26th August
Tickets can be purchased via Kindo only, for $5. Kindo will be open for ticket sales on Monday 15th August and will close on Thursday 25th August. This is to enable us to purchase food and drink for the students attending, there will be no door sales. Each student will receive a drink, snack and heaps of fun dancing with some games thrown in.
- Junior Disco Years 0 to 4 students 5.00 to 6.00 pm
- Senior Disco Years 5 to 8 students 6.30 to 8.00 pm
Teachers will be supervising both Disco’s and due to space limitations, and at this time being at Orange level we ask parents to drop their children at the door. We will also have Student Counsellors at the Junior Disco to support any nervous children.
ACCESS TO FREE FACE MASKS FOR FAMILIES
You can get free face masks by:
- picking them up from testing centres and collection points alongside your free rapid antigen tests (RATs)
- visiting a participating pharmacy
- talking to a participating GP or alternative community healthcare provider.
To order RATs online visit the Ministry of Health website.
Alternatively, if you’re unable to order RATs online or visit a participating healthcare provider in person, call 0800 222 478 and select option 3.
For a list of testing locations with free face masks visit the Health Point website.
Welcome to the Library!
We are happy to announce that Kohimarama School Library has reopened its doors for all students. Everyone is welcome to the library during the big break and the allocated class sessions. Please help your children to locate the overdue books and return them to us by Friday, 12th August to avoid receiving an overdue notification. Your help is greatly appreciated!
This week students are encouraged to come and join our Library Storytime, just pick up a bean bag or a cushion and listen to the famous actors from The Screen Actors Guild
read aloud children’s books in their own voice.
Our school librarians welcomed Alex C to the team as one of our students has left the school last term. Alex is already engaged in everyday activities and learning the duties and responsibilities. Well done!
Certificates & Awards
Congratulations to these outstanding students from Hillary Team and Snell Team:
- Room 9 – Victoria E, Ingrid M
- Room 10 – Kira U, Franklin O
- Room 11 – Thomas RW, Ivanna K
- Room 12 – Bill L, Rosie B, Anastasia S
- Room 14 – Forest A, Lydia B
- Room 15 – Willa D, Arthur GM
- Room 21 – Maisey B, Jayden J
- Room 22 – Logan M, Hamish B
- Room 23 – Madeline M, Madeleine T
Caught Being Good – “Greenies”
Thank you to all our students who are doing the right thing in the playground, letting others join in their game, discussing rule changes of games together, watching out for others, taking turns and remembering to kick on the grass – you are awesome. Our fortunate three this week are:
- George Rm 10 for friendliness Colenso
- Emile Rm 14 for friendliness Atkin
- Georgia Rm 21 for friendliness Selwyn
Our second major sporting event for 2022, will take place on Friday August 19 at Madills Farm. If the weather on this day is not suitable, we will move the event to Monday August 22.
Approximate Race Times:
10.00am Year 7/8 Snell Team
- Year 7/8 Girls
- Year 7/8 Boys
10.30am Kiri Team
- Year 0 Girls
- Year 0 Boys
- Year 1 Girls
- Year 1 Boys
11.00am Year 2 Cowley Team
- Year 2 Girls
- Year 2 Boys
11.30am Year 3
- Year 3 Girls
- Year 3 Boys
12.00pm Year 4 Hillary Team
- Year 4 Girls
- Year 4 Boys
12.30pm Year 5
- Year 5 Girls
- Year 5 Boys
1.00pm Year 6 Snell Team
- Year 6 Girls
- Year 6 Boys
Flippa Ball Results
- Year 3/4 Sharks
Win 9-0. POD Agnes
- Year 5 Kinas
Win 11-1. POD Blair and Theo
- Year 6 Blue Bottles
Win 3-2. POD Esther