Term 3, Week 4
|EZ Boys Basketball||Wed, 17 Aug|
|Cross Country||Fri, 19 Aug|
|Cross Country - Rain Day||Mon, 22 Aug|
|Photolife - Teams/Groups (note date changed from Mon 22nd)||Thu, 25 Aug|
|Year7&8 Mathex||Thu, 25 Aug|
|School Disco||Fri, 26 Aug|
|BoT Meeting||Mon, 29 Aug|
|BS & EZ Cross County||Mon, 29 Aug|
|Year 7&8 Kids Lit||Wed, 31 Aug|
|Snell hub open morning for year 4/5 parents||Wed, 31 Aug|
|Random Acts of Kindness Day||Thu, 1 Sep|
|Blokes Breakfast||Fri, 2 Sep|
|AIMS Games||Mon, 5 Sep - Fri, 9 Sep|
|Yr 3 hub open morning for year 2 parents||Wed, 7 Sep|
|BS Basketball||Wed, 7 Sep|
|Come Cool to School Day - Pyjama Day||Fri, 9 Sep|
|Auckland Championships-Cross country||Tue, 13 Sep|
A Message from the Principal
In this newsletter I want to build on the previous descriptions of the Strategic Goals that we are working towards at Kohimarama School.
I want to share with you our Strategic Goal Four, related to our school environment.
Strategic Goal Four
Develop a great learning environment
- Develop a detailed property plan for the growth of the school
- Understand and engage positively with the MOE and other key property stakeholders
- Positively manage the transition to a larger school with teachers, staff students and community
- Do a great job of change management for learning environments and pedagogy
What are we doing in each of these areas?
- We, the Board and Senior Management Team, have been working with the Ministry of Education to develop options for the schools future developments.
- This is called Master Planning and sets a plan in place to develop the school buildings and facilities.
- This process included focus groups with students and staff and the Board and Leadership Team in our school.
- The school has less classroom facilities than it needs for our student population, hence the need for a Ministry of Education driven solution with the school.
- We have worked with property officials to advocate for the school.
- The school is due to be fully fenced this year by the Ministry of Education.
- Given the above we have had to manage, sometimes bigger class sizes and rooms that were at capacity.
- Parents and staff together make our learning community so that we can partner effectively in the process of learning for our students using a variety of tools.
- We have had to manage student intakes such as Out of Zone enrolments and entry to school at age 5 to manage the space in the school.
How are we measuring success?
- To be selected as a priority one school gave us a big boost.
- We have been able to Master Plan the school with the Ministry of Education for a short and long term solution to our property.
- We were selected to ensure that fencing met requirements.
- This project is due to be commenced this year.
- We are continuing to develop our staff to teach in the changing environments such as COVID 19 and with the variety of needs that have appeared in this time.
What are we doing next?
- We are advocating for our master planning to be approved so that the school can get the resources that we have long waited for, to be finally delivered.
- We continue to engage with MOE officials to progress the building projects as quickly as possible.
- Working with teachers to ensure that we are ‘not letting teaching and learning outcomes to chance’.
We are grateful that this work is completed and that the crossing and the road are back to normal.
Mask Wearing at School
We have been monitoring the numbers of students and staff away with winter illnesses and COVID. At this stage numbers are remaining low and stable.
It is still strongly recommended that masks be worn while on the school grounds
The Kohimarama Way – Honesty
“A half truth is a whole lie.” Yiddish proverb. “Integrity is telling myself the truth. And honesty is telling the truth to other people.” Spencer Johnson.
School Disco – Starry Night (Friday 26th August)
$5 tickets can be purchased on Kindo only – no door sales will be available.
- Years 0-4 = Junior Disco 5.00-6.00pm
- Years 5-8 = Senior Disco 6.30-8.00pm
Students are invited to dress to the theme or come in their usual weekend attire. Each ticket purchases a snack, drink and entertainment from our professional Disc Jockey: David Gall. Parents are asked to drop their child/ren at the door as we are still at Orange Level, as well as there being a shortage of space inside.
Photolife visit Thursday, August 25th
Photolife will be at school on Thursday the 25th to take Sports and Group photos. Please ensure your children bring the correct uniform or sports uniform for their photo(s). Sibling photos will take place at our session in October.
Kohimarama School Speech Finals 2022
Thank you to all our Years 4 to 8 students who completed an oral presentation which they were judged on. Great skills that you will use again in your lifetime for all sorts of occasions. Our finalists are below, some of whom will be continuing onto the interschool Competition in a couple of weeks time. Congratulations to the following:
Years 7 and 8
- 1st = Will R
- 2nd = Ava C
- 3rd = Mattys N
- 1st = Juella G
- 2nd = Lara K
Spoken Word Poetry
- 1st = Scarlett W
- 2nd = Hunter D
- 3rd = Farrah B
Years 5 and 6
- 1st = Abigail J
- 2nd = Louisa W
- 3rd = Ariel L
- 1st = Fletcher D
- 2nd = Mikayla E
- 3rd = Zac C
Spoken Word Poetry
- 1st = Juilette P
- 2nd = Jayden L
- 1st = Theo P
Welcome to the Library!
This week our online library has some amazing new resources available to issue. Make sure you go to the https://library.kohimarama.school.nz
All new resources are displayed under the moving carousel for you to choose from and be the first to issue your favourite book. Dive in!
To make us more resilient we are stretching our bodies and calming our minds with Yoga in the Library during the big break Monday to Friday. Want to be fancy – bring your yoga mat and join our fun classes.
Certificates & Awards
Congratulations to these outstanding students from Kiri Team and Cowley Team:
- Room 1 – Eli D
- Room 2 – Sylvia R, Cameron P
- Room 3 – Sebastian V
- Room 4 – Harriet P
- Room 5 – Ariana P
- Room 6 – Cleo D
- Room 8 – Frankie B
- Room 16 – Baz D
- Room 17 – Alexander P
- Room 25 – Bella G, Zeke Z
- Room 26 – Honor R
- Room 27 – Ben E, Poppy M
Caught Being Good – “Greenies”
Thanks to our students for doing the right things in the playground. Special congratulations to:
- Charlie Rm 4 for Friendliness Patteson
- Harry Rm 1 for Commitment Selwyn
- Henry Rm 2 for Commitment Patteson
Jacob R, Alexander C and Sam D competed in the Winterfest Water Polo tournament with the St Thomas’s School team scoring silver in the B grade
Our second major sporting event for 2022, will take place on Friday August 19 at Madills Farm. If the weather on this day is not suitable, we will move the event to Monday August 22.
Approximate Race Times:
Bare in mind we can run ahead of schedule
10.00am Year 7/8 Snell Team
- Year 7/8 Girls
- Year 7/8 Boys
10.30am Kiri Team
- Year 0 Girls
- Year 0 Boys
- Year 1 Girls
- Year 1 Boys
11.00am Year 2 Cowley Team
- Year 2 Girls
- Year 2 Boys
11.30am Year 3
- Year 3 Girls
- Year 3 Boys
12.00pm Year 4 Hillary Team
- Year 4 Girls
- Year 4 Boys
12.30pm Year 5
- Year 5 Girls
- Year 5 Boys
1.00pm Year 6 Snell Team
- Year 6 Girls
- Year 6 Boys
Flippa Ball Results
- Year 3/4 Sharks
Win 2-0. POD Evie
- Year 5 Kinas
Win 6-0. POD Emily and Alex
- Year 6 Blue Bottles
Loss 4-0. POD Mia-Rose
You must be logged in to post a comment.