24 March 2020
As we move towards our National Pandemic Level 4 status, I want to thank the parent
community for the support that you have shown to the staff of Kohimarama School. In these uncertain times, pulling together is the key to us all managing ourselves and the situation that we find ourselves in.
Change of School Terms
The Ministry of Education has now published the change of dates for the school holidays.
School holidays commence on Monday 30 March and finish on Tuesday 14 April.
Completing Week 8 – 23 March -27 March 2020
Students in Hillary and Snell Teams can complete the week’s work that has already been assigned on School Talk.
In the meantime Kohimarama Students can use the following resources online to support students across the school;
● ONLINE LIBRARY (Many of our students are already familiar with Epic, making it an ideal choice for reading options at home. Epic was already free for educators and now we can push free student accounts for remote access as well. Instructions here
● World Book – have also made their resources free at the moment and will have useful reading and research material. Username: wbsupport Password: distancelearn
● Britannica School School. Your teacher can provide you with passwords. You will only need the username and password if you are using these resources at home.
● Maths The best option for Maths is to continue using the platforms we have and students are familiar with.
● PE with Joe – YouTube based PE lesson happening live every day at 9am UK time, but will be available to watch later. He also has a number of kids 5 minute move videos.
● Lunch Doodles with Mo. From the Kennedy Centre – artist in residence doing a drawing lesson each day for kids to follow along.
Start of Term 2
For all students, we will be supporting their learning from your home in the following ways:
● through online learning
● Using Google Hangouts between 9-12 during term time each school day.
● Contact with the school remains via email.
I have attached information from your childs team about the way we will be leading the learning as we begin term 2. You will also find this information on our website.
Borrowing a device from school
If you do not have a device (Chromebook) at home, the school is able to loan you one while we are in lockdown, isolation. Please contact the school via email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will have these available between 9-10am tomorrow, Thursday to have a device for you to borrow. We have a limited number available.
Your child will be looking to you for guidance about this decision. Parents, caregivers, whānau and teachers will have a particularly important part to play in reassuring children at this time. If you haven’t already done so, you may wish to read the information put together by the Ministry of Education to support your conversations with your children – Talking to children about COVID-19
As a learning community we continue to focus on the students as the centre of what we do and look forward to partnering with you to continue this process for the next little while.
I hope that you all remain healthy and safe during the next four weeks.